Our Commitments to One Another in the Sight of God
The basis for our joining together as members of New Life Church is our relationship with God the Father through the work of his son Jesus Christ communicated to us by the Holy Spirit.
As a member of New Life Church, I joyfully agree to walk together with the members of this church making the following commitments:
- I will rejoice in the grace of God, privately and corporately giving thanks to our heavenly Father for the sacrifice of his son Jesus, for the forgiveness of our sins, and for the gift of the Holy Spirit who empowers us to believe and to live for the glory of God.
- I will live together with my brothers and sisters in love, just as God has loved us. I will seek their good through forming relationships that promote holiness, discipleship, worship, and sound doctrine.
- I will, as God enables me, care for my brothers and sisters in Christ in distress, sickness, and poverty.
- I will not neglect to meet together in corporate worship and in small group fellowship in those settings that the church provides.
- I will devote myself to the study of Scripture and to prayer both privately and through group contexts.
- I will seek to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ through seeking progressive growth in holiness through the application of the means of grace as taught in Scripture.
- I will seek to advance the proclamation of the gospel through those relationships God has afforded me in my family, my workplace, and my community, and support those whom the church sends to proclaim the gospel beyond our locale.
- I will seek to serve the church’s ministries through regular giving of my time, effort, and money.
- I will pursue conciliation when offence occurs between myself and another member, and I will reject all opportunities to speak or to hear gossip or slander.
- I will watch out for church members and admonish anyone whose practice of sin requires it. If one of our number requires corporate discipline, I will support the efforts and direction of the church, as led by its pastors, to call that member to repent of his sins. I agree with the church’s doctrine and practice of church discipline.
- I will promote marriage as a reflection of Christ’s relationship with his church and bring up any children God gives me in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. I support the church’s understanding of the Bible’s teaching on divorce and remarriage.
- I will, if I move from this place, unite with some other church where I can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the teaching of God’s Word.